Fresh Awards - Florist Awards

ABOUT

The Florist Awards aim to encourage, recognise a reward best practice in fresh flower retailing. Award recipients are recognised as the elite of their industry, earning a place amongst a distinguished group by having their achievements highlighted at both the community and industry levels.

Businesses participating in the awards and supporting mystery shopper program, have the opportunity to gain invaluable insights that can help them better understand their customers shopping experience and provided feedback that can add value to their businesses.

All participating florists recieve three mystery shopping visits throughout the year. Each visit is undertaken by a different accredited mystery shopper.

The mystery shopper completes a comprehensive questionnaire that covers, numerous aspect across five key criteria:

  • Store appearance
  • Customer service
  • Product quality, range and freshness
  • Merchandising and branding

A key element of the program is that all participating businesses receive a copy of each mystery shopper's report, that includes the shopper's feedback, comments and observations.


AWARD CATEGORIES

The 2018 Fresh Awards will recognise florists across a range of categories.  The Florist Awards include:

  • FLORIST OF THE YEAR – the ultimate award for the highest achievement will be presented to the florist finalist that achieves the highest scores across all mystery shopping and industry criteria. The yearly mystery shopping results will contribute to 75% of a business’ score. The remaining 25% will be based on the scores achieved from an industry evaluation.
  • Service Excellence– recognises a business for its achievement in customer service. This award will be presented to the business that achieves the highest score in customer service as measured through the mystery shopping results.   
    Four finalists will be announced.
  • Retail Presentation – recognises a business for its achievement in store presentation and appearance. This award will be presented to the business that achieves the highest score in retail presentation as measured through the mystery shopping results.   
    Four finalists will be announced.
  • Marketing and Branding Excellence – recognises a business for being proactive in marketing fresh flowers and their business through social media, educational activities and by having strong branding within their business. This award will be presented to the business that achieves the highest score in merchandising and branding categories as measured through the mystery shopping results and an industry evaluation.
    Four finalists will be announced.

Key Dates

Evaluation Progress Starts 7 Sep 17
Finalists Notified 15 May 18
Tickets to Fresh Awards on Sale 17 May 18
Finalists Published on the Website 15 Jun 18
2018 Fresh Awards Event, Sydney 25 Jul 18

Click here to learn about the prizes for the Florist Awards.

Businesses wishing to register for the 2018-2019 Florist Awards can now do so online by clicking the button below.

 

REGISTER FOR THE 2019 FLORIST AWARDS